My #1 recommended resolution for employer clients in 2013? Improve your workplace documentation practices. Why? Because I like to win cases for clients, and most employment lawsuits are often won or lost based on the presence, quality, and accuracy of an employer's documentation.
Experts tell us that understanding the benefits of your New Year's resolution will help you keep it. So, here are five important reasons why proper documentation will improve your workplace and increase my chance of winning your employment lawsuit:
- Proper documentation demonstrates an employer's compliance with federal, state, and local laws.
- Proper documentation leads to better and more objective decision-making.
- Proper documentation lends credence to an employer's explanation of the legitimate business reasons underlying its employment actions.
- Proper documentation provides evidence that similarly situated employees were treated the same.
- Proper documentation helps witnesses remember key events.
Announcing your New Year's resolution also increases the likelihood you will keep it. For my part, I promise to help you improve your workplace documentation practices in 2013 by providing you with specific tips and strategies in future blog posts. To put it in legal terms:
WHEREAS, proper workplace documentation is critical to minimizing employment disputes and improving an employer's position in litigation. NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the aforesaid employer/reader and the undersigned attorney/writer will work together to improve workplace documentation practices in 2013.
I will keep my resolution for 2013. Will you?
Next post: What to document? Almost everything.